Monday, August 1, 2011

A Weaned Child

Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
Psalm 131:2

Not too long ago, I was sitting eating lunch and my two year old daughter came up to me with a big smile. I put her up on my lap and discovered that she was mostly interested in the potato chips that were on my plate. They were Kettle chips so, that's understandable! After I gave her a chip she went about her business...until she finished her chip, at which point she would return to me to ask for another.

This pattern continued for quite some time until I realized something. When my daughter would approach me for another chip, I was more than happy to give her another. At the same time I found myself longing for her to just want to be in my lap, to enjoy her little chip with me ...to be happy to just be with me. Then it hit me, that's exactly what I do with my Dad, with God. I seek Him for advise, direction, provision, vision etc. and as soon as He gives me that "chip" I go about my business until I want another one.

This last weekend I had the privilege of attending a retreat in which the purpose was to tend to the soul, to spend time in our Father's lap, at rest, at peace. During the weekend I experienced spending time in God's presence without needing something from him but simply being with Him in silence. Listening for Him to speak but, just as content if He chose not to.

As I connected with God in this way I realized that if I got everything wrong in my life, always one step behind, wrong choices, poorly timed decisions etc. But, in my relationship/walk with God, I remain steadfast and growing, Then really, I've gotten it ALL right! The reverse is also true. If I was somehow able to get all the decisions right in my life, always making the right moves at the right time but, end up missing God, Taking my "chip" and going about my business...then in the end I've really gotten it all wrong, haven't I?

I'm the kind of person who has trouble focusing on too many things at once. It's nice to know that there's really only One on whom I need to set my focus. His name is Jesus Christ.

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith..." Hebrews 12:2







No comments:

Post a Comment